New to Axolotl Keeping, Having trouble with ph!

Scarn_Sans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heya, a while ago I got two precious axolotls, and im setting up their tank! They have a sunsun canister filter, and a bubble stone! But, in my area, my water has incredibly low ph, and im wondering how I would boost it for axolotls (I read their ph is suppose to be around 7.2, ours is at 6.0) So, im just wondering what the cheapest, easiest, permanent way is to boost ph in a tank!

test the kh and gh of your tap water, if just the kh is low bicarbonate of soda can be used to increase both ph and kh (kh buffers ph preventing ph swings and drops), use enough bicarbonate of soda to bring the ph to 7.4-7.6.
if your gh is also low crushed coral can be used instead of bicarbonate of soda, although this mainly only adds calcium as the main mineral (for gh), as an alternative solutions such as holtfreters can be used to balance the ph kh and gh providing essential minerals/salts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back