New baby struggling

Falkorsmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, we are new to the axotle world and I researched and researched to make sure we really do it right. After making sure our tank was cycled we ordered our sweetie. He's just a baby about 4in. He arrived in good health and he ate 2 pellets. We decided to tub him for a while to get him used to things and just make sure he wasn't stressed. Well I'm here to tell you I feel absolutely like trash. I primed our water, slowly introduced him to the new water before transferring. Of all the tests and kits... we never thought to check the chlorine. We'll his little floofies burnt off. 😭😭😭😭 we have him in primed spring water and he's doing sooooo much better. You can tell he's feel 10x better but her hasn't eaten. He got here Wednesday evening and it's now Friday morning. The last time he ate was wednesday. I feel like the worst person so please be kind.

I’m not familiar with axolotls but just to help alleviate you. It’s very common for caudates to not eat for a period after stress. They can be fine for quite a while without eating. I feed my newts twice a week, and they can easily go more than a week without feeding. If your axolotl is of a healthy weight right now, not having eaten for 2 days is nothing to be concerned about yet.

Yes, make sure you alway dechlorinate water they come into contact with. Others will have more to say about how to treat your axie for the exposure to chlorine, if treatment is necessary.

For food I would try to get my hands on some live earthworms. They’re very nutritious and the movement will stimulate feeding.

We primed the water but after this we did some research into our cities water and they use some weird chlorine to where we need a different primer. He's looking pretty thin. I just feel like such a turd bag that I welcomed him in such a bad way.

Here's what he's looking like. I will say he has been more active this last 24 hours. But zero interest in food. I know shipping can be stressful but he ate 2 pellets when we first got him so I feel it's my fault

Attachments

• 17147521915582553393930249382348.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
I see, do you mean your city uses chloramine? And is the dechlorinator you used at first seachem prime? That’s not the brand that I use but I believe seachem prime takes care of both regular chlorine and chloramine.

He does look a bit thin to me, but not too bad. And again 2 days without eating is not very urgent yet. I can’t speak on the gills and possible burn from chlorine. Someone else should be able to help you with that.

In the meantime let’s make sure you have the right dechlorinator and I would definitely look at getting some live earthworms or live black worms/tubifex. The movement live food have will help stimulate eating and the high nutritional values of those foods can only him recover.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. My city uses chloramine as well. I did not know this when I started keeping newts either (took me way longer to realize this than it took you). Luckily I bought my dechlorinator at the local fish store, and naturally the one they stock takes care of chloramine.

make sure the tub is large enough, over a period of 24 hours ammonia can get quite high in a tub, if needs be change twice daily.
test ph, the higher the ph the more harmful ammonia becomes, tubbing is the only time having low ph is advantages.
keep the waters temperature low/cold, around 15°c/59°f if possible, no high than 18°c/64°f.
add 2g/l non-iodised salt to help give protection.
when the chlorine in chloromines are removed via a dechlorinator ammonia is left but is normally very low but is why ammonia is tested no sooner than 24hrs after a water change to prevent false/erroneous readings on an aquarium.
feed at night change water in morning, axolotls are mostly nocturnal, over night is when the most waste is produced (even when not defecating).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back